Success in social media is dependent on appropriate goal-setting, quality analytics and good community management. In my experience, strategy is key.
Set your goals
- Identify what you already do well and extend that practice online.
- Liaise with management and communications professionals to determine what you want to achieve.
- Plan ahead of time how you’ll know it’s working.
- Keep your eye on the prize – know what you’re looking for.
- Don’t get dazzled or befuddled by pretty tools.
- Use the data to find out what works and do more of it.
- Have a good policy foundation and be open about it with your community.
- Engage people in your work – ask them what they want.
- Good quality content is key.
For success stories, see: Lyndal Cairns’ social media portfolio.